Condition of the hair during pregnancy

Pregnancy is a state when a woman’s body undergoes remarkable changes. While some of the changes are visible others are not so. Besides the baby bump and the nauseating incidents that are noticeable indicators, there are other changes too. In fact, the skin and the hair of the pregnant woman also undergo changes that are often ignored. We often tend to neglect the best changes that happen to the woman’s body due to the pregnancy as the focus is more on the baby rather than the would-be mother. Let me use this article to explain about the condition of the hair during pregnancy, as not many would have dealt with it in detail.

What actually happens to hair?

All changes gets reversed a few months after the child is born. So, there is nothing to panic!

All changes gets reversed a few months after the child is born. So, there is nothing to panic!

At any given time the hair strands are either in a growing or a resting phase. Ideally, about 90% of the hair on your scalp would be in the growing phase while the remaining 10% would be resting. Typically, in a two-three month cycle, the resting hair fall off and paves way for the new hair to replace it. So gradually, new hair grows in the region that the hair in resting phase occupied. The hormonal changes that a pregnant woman’s body undergoes, especially the increase in the estrogen levels are actually good for the hair. Apart from the benefits in regulating the fertility cycle of women, it also regulates metabolic activities like cholesterol levels and bone growth. What we don’t quite know is that Estrogen also makes the hair thicker and fuller during pregnancy. In fact, it prevents the hair from falling off, as more hair goes into the growing phase and so the hair loss would be much reduced. The expecting mother would be of the impression that a lot of hair is growing on her scalp. However, once the child is born the hormones try to reach their balanced state and hence, you will see a noticeable hair fall say three-four months after the birth of the child. Other changes in the hair that have been noticed during pregnancy include hair color and its texture. The hair may become much darker and may curl if it was earlier straight or become straight if it was the other way round earlier.

If the hair becomes drier during pregnancy the possible culprit could be the other female hormone called progesterone.  Progesterone is also released in high quantities during pregnancy and can result in your hair strands breaking. This situation is more likely during the final phase of pregnancy as progesterone becomes the dominant hormone then. Though this is not really called hair loss, you hair strands breaking off near the roots can give the impression of hair loss. It is recommended to use a gentle shampoo to wash your hair and then use a mild conditioner.

Other than the changes in the hair on the scalp, pregnant women can expect new hair coming up more actively all over their body. In fact, they would notice that the hair on their arms, legs and even face become thicker. Just like the situation discussed earlier, this change gets reversed a few months after the child is born. So, there is nothing to panic. Happy pregnancy!

No Comments

    Leave a Comment